Search This Blog

2.21.2011

Quick Quinoa Salad

  I just recently had a proper introduction to this super-food, quinoa (keen-wah) & have been sharing my new found love for this miracle "grain" with all my friends!  I say "grain" because it is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables, such as spinach & Swiss chard.  It is gluten-free & is a tasty alternative to rice, pasta, oatmeal, you name it!  You can practically supplement quinoa for any of your favorites.  I'm not kicking bread to the curb, but I like quinoa as an alternative to our usual grains because it is a great way to add more protein to your diet.  It is actually considered a "complete protein" which means it contains all nine essential amino acids.
  I got this recipe from my Mom & have been eating it almost everyday.  I usually warm it up a bit & then make myself an egg over medium & place it on top of this delicious quinoa medley.  A serious protein punch to start my day off right!

Ingredients:

-12 Oz black beans

-1 cup Quinoa
-2 cups of stock (chicken, beef, vegetable)
-3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
-1 Tbsp Low-sodium soy sauce
-1 Tbsp lime juice

-1 chipotle in adobe, minced
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-6 scallions, white and green parts only, thinly sliced
-1 red bell pepper, finely diced
-¼ cup chopped cilantro

In a med saucepan combine the quinoa with 2 cups stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer the quinoa over low heat until the water has been absorbed, about 15 mins. Spread the quinoa on a plate and let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice and chipotle. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking until blended. Add the black beans, quinoa, scallions, red pepper and cilantro. Toss to combine and serve.  Enjoy hot or cold!

*Just like rice you can cook quinoa w/water, stock or any liquid of your choosing to infuse extra flavor. 
I love cooking it w/coconut milk--especially for a breakfast dish (add nuts or dried cranberries) or when paired w/stir-fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment